EGYPT : SINAI : ST. CATHERINE MONASTERY
The “Burning Bush” in front of the basilica.
A view of the mosaic of transfiguration which covers the surface of 46 meters square inside the basilica of the monastery of Saint Catherine is shown on Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 in South Sinai, Egypt. The inauguration ceremony, attended by Egyptian and western officials, comes after three years of restoration work on the eastern side of the library that houses the world’s second largest collection of early codices and manuscripts, outnumbered only by the Vatican Library, according to Monk Damyanos, the monastery’s archbishop. (AP Photo/Samy Magdy)
Saint Catherine’s Monastery and-Dahab From Sharm El Sheikh
- St. Catherine’s Monastery is one of the oldest continuously inhabited Christian monastery in the world, a place of traditional worship for believers from all over the world and a must visit! Included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site
Tour Days: Monday, Thursday , Saturday
Departure from hotel at 05:00 AM, depending on the location of the hotel. Return around 16:30-17:30
- St. Catherine Monastery and Dahab city Tour from Sharm El Sheikh . At the early morning, We will escort you by an air conditioned vehicle to drive towards St. Catherine’s City “ the historical Christian site in Sinai about 3 hours driving” (220km). Upon reaching the area you will visit the Monastery of Saint Catherine day trip to The oldest record of monastic life, Room of the Skulls, Burning Bush then drive to Dahab, enjoy shopping as well as Lunch at local restaurant, at the end of St. Catherine tour from Sharm Marina transfer to Sharm El-Sheikh port to catch
- Pick you up around 6:00 AM Drive to St. Catherine takes around 2.30 or 3 hours, we will make one stop to see the beautiful valley with lovely sand dunes.
- Then, we go directly to Catherine Village, arriving there at about 9:00 and visit the monastery of St. Catherine which lies at the foot of Mount Moses in the heart of South Sinai. This is one of the most famous monuments of South Sinai with a lot of attractions like the Church of Transfiguration, The Skull House, Moses Well and the Burning Bush. You will get a guided tour to see all this with all the historical explanations from our licensed guide.
- After visiting the monastery you will get free time where you can visit the museum of the monastery which contains the oldest icons and manuscripts of the early stage of Christianity. It is the world’s second largest collection of illuminated manuscripts after the Vatican. The entry of the museum costs 25le (not included). You can take photo’s during this free time.
- We drive back to Dahab City where we get our lunch in a local restaurant.
- After a delightful lunch you will have the chance to go shopping in Dahab or look around this wonderful city.
- We will arrive back in Sharm el Sheikh at around 17.30 and you will be taken back to your hotel.
- • Pickup and drop-off to hotel in air conditioned bus
- • Tour of the monastery (viewing ancient icons, frescoes,manuscripts, visiting the Chapel of the Holy Bush, the old dining room, the Well of Moses, the Basilica of the Transfiguration, the crypt, the old cemetery)
- Worship in the monastery
- • Blessing from the abbot of the monastery (temporarily not done)
- Visit the city of Dahab
- Entrance tickets for the monastery
- • English-speaking guide
What’s not included:
- • Entrance tickets to the Museum with icons
- Personal expenses
Bring with you:
- • passport
- Dry breakfast package (ordered in advance at the hotel reception)
- Bottle of water
- Comfortable clothes and shoes, warm clothes (in winter)
- Attention ! Clothes should be appropriate for visiting sacred places !
- The monastery is closed if the day of visit is a Christian holiday.
- Attention: Ordering an excursion one day before the start of the excursion, payment at the beginning of the trip. If the bus is 10 minutes late, call urgently
- Excursion payment is in cash/Card (US dollars, Euro, Egyptian or British pounds)