Mount Moses and Saint Catherine’s Monastery Trip From Sharm El Sheikh
- The most exciting adventure and historical tour!
–Tour Days: Sunday to Monday, Wednesday to Thursday, Friday to Saturday
- Departure from hotel at 19:30, depending on the location of the hotel. Return around 14:00
- Moses Mountain also known as “Mount Sinai” and the Monastery of Saint Catherine night trip from Sharm El Sheikh. Mount Moses (Mount Sinai) also known as Mount Horeb or Gabal Musa, is a mountain in the middle of South Sinai Peninsula of Egypt which is considered a holy site by the Ibrahimic religions.
- Mount Sinai is mentioned many times in the Book of Exodus and other books of the Bible, and the Quran. According to Jewish, Christian, and Islamic tradition, the biblical Mount Sinai was the place where Moses received the Ten Commandments.
- About 230 km from the city of Sharm El Sheikh, and named after Prophet Moses, the length of Mount Moses is 2285 meters.
- chance to visit one of the oldest churches in the middle east (Saint Catherine)
- Moses Mountain “Mount Sinai” program
- pick up from Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
- We will pick you up from your hotel in Sharm El Sheikh at 20:00 by a modern air-conditioned vehicle to drive to Saint Catherine area which will take about 3 Hours included a rest stop “15 Minutes”.
- Climbing Mount Sinai “Moses Mountain”
- Reach the foot of the Mountain where our Tour Guide will show you around then start climbing the Mountain around midnight.
- The most popular excursion in Saint Catherine is to climb Mount Sinai you must be reasonably fit and prepared, We will provide you a torch, We also recommend a Sensible and comfortable walking shoes, Some warm clothes will be needed when you get to the summit In winter you will need lots of warm clothes.
- You can go two thirds of the way up the mountain by camel, but the last third must be done by foot “700 steps”
- Make use if you can of the blanket hire at the summit as this provides income for local families and enjoy stunning views. There are also a few tea and snack stops on the way. “optional”
- By now you are here at one of the highest points in Egypt around 2,285 meters above sea level to enjoy amazing view of Sun rising over the magnificent Mountains around.
- Saint Catherine’s Monastery
- Descending from the Mountain. we will head to Saint Catherine’s which is Greek Orthodox and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the oldest working Christian monastery in the world .
- It is one of the oldest tourist sights in South Sinai, built around 550AD, famous burning bush of Moses and also the Greek Orthodox Monastery and a large collection of artifacts, icons and historical manuscripts.
- The monastery has strict opening and closing times, the hours are 8:45 am – 11:45 am (Closed Fridays and Sundays and during Coptic religious holidays)
- You will be offered a snack
- Back to Sharm El Sheikh
- you will leave for Sharm El Sheikh, and arrive in Sharm at about 14:00.
- • Pickup and drop-off to hotel in air conditioned bus
- Pick-up from hotel at 19:30
- Bus transfer to the foot of mountain Sinai
- Three-hour climb to the summit (2285 m)
- Climbing a stone staircase of 700 steps
- Use of flashlight while climbing the mountain
- Watch the sunrise
- Descending to the monastery of St. Catherine
- Tour of the monastery
- Transfer back to hotel around 13:30-14:00
- English-speaking guide and mountain guide
What’s not included:
- • Drinks
- Camel ride to climb the mountain.
Bring with you:
- • passport
- Bottle of water
- Comfortable clothes and shoes, warm clothes (in winter)
- Dry food pack (ordered in advance at the hotel reception)
- Attention ! Clothes should be appropriate for visiting sacred places !
- The monastery is closed if the day of visit is a Christian holiday.
- Attention: Ordering an excursion one day before the start of the excursion, payment at the beginning of the trip. If the bus is 10 minutes late, call urgently
Excursion payment is in cash/Card (US dollars, Euro, Egyptian or British pounds)